Motivate

Motivate

Thursday, July 11, 2013

Food mmmmmm

Some people have asked about how I have changed my diet since I started this. Well prior to being healthy I was attempting to be healthy. I ate veggies, and grilled chicken and fish, and those Lean Cuisine meals for lunch. However I ate out, way more than I should have, and I certainly didn't skimp on the yummy treats I love like scones and muffins. I was completely unaware use how unhealthy everything was. Even when I thought I was making a good choice I had no clue how many calories I was consuming each day. I don't think most Americans do, which is why we have an obesity epidemic.

So my average daily calorie intake these days is between 1600-1900. This is on days when I work out. If I don't work out I attempt to keep it around 1450. However I typically work out so I can eat a little more. I usually still feel pretty hungry at only 1400 calories.

I log all my food into My Fitness Pal app which is super helpful! Even things like fruit carry lots of calories. A regular 6-7 inch banana is around 100 calories. So it's really nice to keep track and really see what I am putting into my body every day.

I start my day with something to help get my blood sugar up and ready to work out. This morning I had a banana cut in half with almond butter and Kashi on top. I also had my morning coffee with 2 TBS of creamer. All of this added up to 287 calories. This is a great boost for my morning run. I also found oatmeal to be a great work out food. I love Active Lifestyles Maple Pecan Oatmeal (180 calories).


If I need some protein I will have an egg mixed with egg whites, or just egg whites on a whole wheat bagel thin with a piece of 2%  Kraft Cheese.

For snack I usually have some type of fruit, I love blueberries, strawberries and kiwi. And then of lunch I eat mostly veggies with some sort of protein. This is what my plate usually looks like

This lunch is about 297 calories. And it's actually very filling! Sometimes I have light ranch dressing instead of hummus. And sometime I will have a salad. But I try to keep my lunch light and packed with veggies. Afternoon snack is usually fruit again or greek yogurt.


Dinner usually consists of some form of lean meat, chicken, fish, turkey sausage etc. and a grain, couscous, or rice, and veggies. I also love sweets so I try to find healthy alternatives to chocolate cake. I eat chocolate pudding, or chocolate granola bars, Special K chocolate crisps etc. These usual don't exceed 180 calories.

I measure everything! I want to be sure I am being accurate and really seeing what a true serving looks like. I never guess.

I also drink WAY more water. I used to be lucky to get 3-4 glasses of water a day, now I average 7-9 glasses.

All of this is a huge change from the way I used to eat. And my body feels better, my body works better. I feel happier, and my digestive system is so much happier.

To follow my diet closer follow me on My Fitness Pal http://www.myfitnesspal.com/chuffman84



No comments:

Post a Comment