Motivate

Motivate

Friday, July 12, 2013

Self Control, I have some right??



The hardest lesson to learn through this process has been the difference between want and need. I used to think I needed a scone, no really I NEEDED it! I couldn't possibly make it through the day without one. I was an emotional eater (and deep down I still am) It's a recurring battle.

Food made me happy, it made me feel calm. Or so I thought. Now that I am eating better I am seeing that the constant carbs and sugar I was ingesting was actually not helping my mood or anxiety at all. Eating more healthfully, and working out has helped my mood, and helped my anxiety.

Part of my stress/ emotional eating comes from having kids. Anyone with kids can totally testify to this. They are stress causers, and stress makes me to want to eat total crap. Also they are exhausting, and exhaustion makes me to want sugar. Notice I said want both times. I don't need it, I just want it. I think it's going to be helpful, but once the sugar rush is gone I'm lower than before.

I have fought hard in my life to feel in control of myself. My thoughts, my emotions, everything, but somehow this area was where I fell short. Food is the one place I totally lose control. I think it's because other overwhelming situations in my life always led me to food. I self medicated with food. And I still do, just in a different way. When I start to feel tired or run down I think about what my body may be asking for. Do I need protein? Would some veggies be good? Some vitamins?

I'm trying to listen to my body and give it what it needs, not what my brain may want. I want to be in control of myself. I don't want to feel like food controls me. I don't want to be subject to chocolate cake.

So I tell myself this mantra, "You don't NEED it you just WANT it" You are in control of you. You are strong and you can do this.


No comments:

Post a Comment