Motivate

Motivate

Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Great Debate




So this morning my husband and I had a bit of a debate over weight training. The circulated information on lifting for years was that if you wanted to tone you should do more reps with lighter weights, and that women shouldn't lift heavy weights because they would bulk up. Well the bulk up part has definitely been dispelled as myth, but I think there is still a lot of confusion over the more reps or less part. My husband was convinced that I should be using lighter weights and do more reps not increase my weight if I found the workout too easy. I insisted that everything I read told me to lift heavy weights. So when I got home I Googled it and these were the first two articles to pop up.

http://www.muscleandfitnesshers.com/training/ask-our-expert-heavy-weights-low-reps-or-light-weights-higher-reps

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/fitness/weight-lifting-tips

Both articles confirm that my research was correct, lifting lighter wights more times doesn't do anything different for your muscles. Lift the heavy weights ladies. You will NOT get bulky. I think what we tend to mistake for bulk is the muscle tone under our fat layer. I tend to carry a nice layer of fat over my whole body, so when I start lifting I do tend to get "thicker." If that fat were to finally go the hell away I would have a nice toned looking body underneath.

So lift heavy weights, and take breaks by lifting lighter weights with less reps to let your muscles recoup. If you want to see results you will have to increase your weight or reps over time to challenge for body. The debate is over.

Today's workout

Squats with the Smith Machine - 4 sets of 8 reps / 70lbs
Chest Dumbbell Press - 4 sets 12 reps / 20lbs each hand
Seated Cable Row- 4 sets 8 reps / 30lbs
Over head Dumbbell Press - 4 sets of 8 / 20lbs each hand
Barbell Curl - 4 sets of 8 / 30lbs barbell
Seated Calf Raise - 4 sets of 8 / 50lbs
Hanging Leg Raises - 4 sets of 10

No comments:

Post a Comment