Motivate

Motivate

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Doing the Math

1. start with 655 calories 
2. multiply your weighting lbs by 4.3 
3. multiply your height in inches by 4.7 
4. add lines 1-3 together. 
5. multiply your age by 4.7 
6. subtract line 5 from line 4.This is your RMR. 
7. factor in your activity level. 1.2 x your BMR for sedentary, 1.375 x your RMR if you do light exercise one to three days a week 1.55 x your RMR if you are moderately active three to five times per week, and last 1.725 if you work out hard 6-7 days per week.

I found this calculation in a book called Strong is the New Skinny. This caluctaion will help you determine your resting metabolic rate and then the calories you could consume in one day and maintain your current weight. 

After a little research I discovered this 


"The activity factors for the Calorie Restriction Calculator are:
1.200 = sedentary (little or no exercise) 1.375 = lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week, approx. 590 Cal/day) 1.550 = moderately active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week, approx. 870 Cal/day) 1.725 = very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week, approx. 1150 Cal/day) 1.900 = extra active (very hard exercise/sports and physical job, approx. 1580 Cal/day)
The activity factor lightly active corresponds to walking 2 hours per day, moderately active corresponds to walking 3 hours per day, very active corresponds to walking 4 hours per day, and extra active corresponds to walking 5 hours per day (20 miles). More strenuous exercises, such as climbing stairs or running, burn more calories per hour. Most people who exercise from 30 minutes to 45 minutes per day are in the "lightly active" category. You can use the CR calculator to determine the number of calories for each level of exercise for your particular weight by subtracting the calories for a specific activity level from the calories for the sedentary option."
(Found here http://fitness.stackexchange.com/questions/13725/what-activity-level-should-i-choose-in-calorie-calculators)

It is important to choose the correct activity level. I originally chose moderate, but i sit at a desk all day and only work out at most an hour a day but many times less. I feel like my workout is moderate, but my definition of moderate is not the same as theirs. This can be where many people go wrong. 

My numbers led me to an RMR of 1551
With my activity level I am at between 2133-2404 to maintain. I have been eating around 2200-2300 and maintaining so I know this is pretty accurate. 

Armed with this information I have cut my calories to 1800 per day. I did 1900 for the first week to help myself adjust since I had been eating so much more, and now I am down to 1800. 

Hope this is helpful! 

No comments:

Post a Comment